Selling your home is a big deal. With all the steps involved, it can be overwhelming and cause you to overlook important elements, resulting in some big mistakes. In order to help you avoid doing this, here is a list of some of the biggest mistakes homeowners make when selling their home:
- Misunderstanding the costs of selling. Most people are comfortable with the percentage allocated towards the agent’s commission. However, the total cost to sell a home can amount to more than that because you have to consider other costs associated with closing, including repairs and other concessions to the buyer, which can increase the total cost.
- Setting the home at the price you want, which can be very different than what the market will pay. Setting an unrealistic price comes with consequences because if you ask too much, then your home may not sell and will just sit on the market for a very long time. If you ask for too little, then you’re not getting full value, meaning you run the risk of leaving money on the table. Setting an appropriate listing price is tricky but it’s important that you do it right and the price may be different than what you had in mind.
- Failing to complete major repairs. A potential buyer is not going to be impressed if the home comes with a long list of things they need to repair after moving in. Remember that major issues will turn up during a home inspection, which most buyers require and that can decrease the value of your home. Make sure nothing is broken or in such poor condition that it may affect the structure or functionality of your home. This will be sure to turn buyers away.
- Not caring about the appearance of the interior or exterior. Preparing your home for sale is a very important step and the cleaner, less cluttered and well decorated a home is, the better your chances are of selling it. Making sure both the interior and exterior of your home are in good condition will make it more appealing to a buyer because they will be able to picture themselves living there.
- Failing to be flexible for showings. You must be accommodating to the agent, even if the timing is inconvenient. You may have to vacate your home for several hours, even on weekends, but keep in mind that the person coming to see your home during dinnertime can potentially be the one to buy it, so cooperate and be flexible, even when the timing is not ideal.
If you’re planning on selling your home, Norm Merz is who you need to call! He has access to all of the houses for sale in the Hamilton area and his experience with selling homes means your house will not be on the market long. Contact him today for a free home evaluation!
How does your home match up in value against others in your neighbourhood? How do you increase the value of your home? That is not for inexperienced home sellers to know.
Selling your home takes a lot of work. In today’s market where homes sell for a dime a dozen, it’s important to make yours stand out so you get top dollars for your investment.
It is important to choose a committed, experienced realtor who knows how to evaluate your home, weigh its worth against other similar properties in the city and neighbourhood, and help you design an integrated, multi-tiered approach. You need a trustworthy local expert who can plan a pre-listing inspection, home staging, impressive presentation to serious buyers and price it appropriately to earn its true worth. You need a realtor who has a proven track record of home selling success.
If you are interested in selling real estate in Hamilton or surrounding areas, you can rely on Norm Merz to take care of it all smoothly, from start to finish. Norm provides all the support services you need from inspectors for home evaluation to interior designers and photographers for home staging, electricians to mend wiring, plumbers, mortgage brokers, legal experts, the works! The aim is to exceed your expectations by adding value to every real estate transaction, provide information, full-service support and solid advice so you can take an informed decision.
Please fill out the Free Home Evaluation form for your home appraisal. Norm will do the rest to bring you maximum value in minimum time.
Want to buy a home but wondering if it’s worth hiring a real estate agent to help you? Buying a home is a big deal and requires a lot of research to comprehend the complex real estate market. It may seem like the norm to go through the process of buying a home through a real estate agent. But many first time home buyers or even experienced ones, don’t understand why they need a professional real estate agent to help them.
There are many reasons why. Let us take you through the risks of purchasing a home without the help of a real estate agent so you are more aware during your search:
Lose out on a bargain
When you don’t have a professional helping you with the buying process, the home seller may not take you seriously. Negotiation can get you an amazing bargain on a home, however, it can be difficult as a buyer needs to be taken seriously. An experienced professional can do the negotiation for you in a professional way and make you appear like a serious buyer. A real estate agent knows how to get the asking price reduced to fit your budget; however you may not be proficient or comfortable in doing so.
Unaware of market knowledge
The average person doesn’t understand real estate language or how the market works. This is essential when searching for a home so you make the right decision. Although it’s possible to try and learn about real estate online, can you really afford to make a huge life choice based on internet information?
A real estate agent has the proper insights into the market changes, legal issues, various neighbourhoods, and home listings to help you make an informed choice.
Not asking all the questions
Having an expert go through the legal paperwork and answer questions on your behalf can be a lifesaver. An agent knows all the questions you need answers to, from enquiring about seller disclosures to closing costs and maintenance fees. An expert will have the answers ready to questions you may have not even thought of. This will relieve you of the stress of trying to handle every single aspect of home buying yourself, and you enjoy complete peace of mind.
Improper house inspection
Real estate professionals are required to vet a potential property fully for any risks to your health, water damage, and other dangers. They are trained to look for issues that an outsider might miss. Having an expert clear a property for move-in is more reliable for doing it yourself. You never know what you may miss during the house inspection.
Norm Merx is a top real estate agent who can help you find your dream home in a short time! With over 20 years of experience, Norm has the right tools and knowledge to find your property within your budget in no time. Simply fill out your contact information and your search criteria based on price, property type and the neighbourhoods you prefer to get started. If you have any more questions, feel free to call or send an email!